To the question, “What were the highlights of your trip? “, we respond:
- Ron McGregor, tour guide. He was thoroughly knowledgeable and shared that with us. We bought his book, “The South Africa Story” and it is a great read. It is described on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-South-African-Story-by-Ron-McGregor/132187293544185 Ron’s website is at: http://ron.mcgregor.tripod.com/
- The school choir on the optional cultural tour, in the township in Cape Town. This was very moving.
- The lion walk in Zimbabwe, a terrific experience. For more info see: http://www.lionencounter.com/
- The elephant ride in Zimbabwe was also unforgetable.
- The Robben Island prison tour with the former political prisoner.
- Kudu, antelope and warthog…meals. Tasty.
- Game drives, especially Kruger Park and Chobe. The elephants swimming in the Zambezi River at Chobe.
- Johannesburg, downtown “war zone”.
- Pieterson Museum in Johannesburg commemorating the student demonstration of June 16, 1976.
- The water hole at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, Zimbabwe.
Ok, so what were the “lowlights” of the trip?
- The wholesale souvenir shop in Johannesburg, although some people did purchase souvenirs.
- The souvenir vendors at the strip shop in Victoria Falls. The vendors were uber pushy.
- The VAT refund process at the Johannesburg airport. Really? You get a commission, and charge me more VAT on my VAT refund? Hardly worth it.
- The side effects of Malarone malaria pills. What else can give you constipation and diarrhea, simultaneously?